Monday, February 22, 2010

To Chicken or Not To Chicken

My roommate, Melanie, and Drew were both feeling under the weather last week. Instead of DayQuil or tissues they asked me to mix up a big pot of chicken noodle soup so that their bodies could start healing. I have never made chicken noodle soup from scratch before and was excited about making such a classic comfort food for the first time. I googled some recipes for the soup and made an ingredient list compiling many of the elements of different recipes which I deemed worthy.

While Drew and Melanie's dinner was taken care of for the evening my stomach was getting a little concerned at its own prospects for fulfillment. I could just make a big salad for me. However cold lettuce leaves shrivled in my mind's eye next to a steaming pot of soup. I could make the soup with out the chicken (noodle soup?). Hm. I am usually not one to go out and buy pre-packaged imitation meat products but through a small amount of research I learned that Morning Star Farm's Chick'n Strips work wonderfully in no-chicken noodle soup.

While the chicken noodle soup was bubbling away I started a separate pot of the soup and replaced the chicken stock with vegetarian bouillon cubes and chicken with the chick'n. Both soups smelled wonderful and it felt good to be making a dish that would hopefully make my friends feel better. A smile crept on my face as the no-chicken noodle soup hit my tongue and the flavors bounced and played off one another in a subtle way. Drew and Melanie finished two bowls each of the chicken soup and were completely satisfied.

Out of curiosity's sake I asked them to sample a bit of the vegetarian versions of the classic recipe to see how it compared. They were surprised, "Wow, the soup with the chicken was good but this is amazing!".

I must admit, I was a bit surprised by their reaction. They complimented how all of the flavors were balanced and the chick'n strips worked well with the consistency of the noodles and vegetables. Am I a better vegetarian cook, or was it simply that this specific soup was better? I will have to work on my real chicken noodle soup skills; any taste test volunteers?

No comments:

Post a Comment